Thursday, September 16, 2010

Back to school, back to school

So the first two weeks of grad school are just about finished and so far it has been a great experience. I am taking four classes, statistics, economics planning law and policy and planning theory. Each class is a building block to future classes that i will have to and want to talk before i get my degree. With that said, some of these classes are not easy.

My statistics class is no walk in the park but then again, unless it comes natural to you I don't know anyone would say they would enjoy stats class. If I keep up with the readings, see my teacher during his office hours, and pay attention in class (which i always do) I think i will be fine.

My econ class is simple. I took one economics class in college, so this is kind of a refresher class but at the same time this is a class that i am trying to succeed in because in college econ was tough and i took it pass fail. Although its a refresher some concepts will be difficult to understand and wrap my head around. If i stay persistent like my stats class i should do fine.

My law class is my toughest class. It just has a lot of reading and writing involved and it will certainly take a lot of time and effort to do well in the class. I think it is a very interesting and especially important class for my future. I will be learning about many of the main law cases and zoning policies regarding urban planning. Additionally, i will be learning how to write memos, briefs and other planning related plans. It will probably be my most important class to take away from this semester, but stats and econ will also be important.

Finally, my theory classes seems the most enjoyable because a lot of the readings from class i have looked into and know i am going to enjoy. So far the class has not gotten too in depth about planning theory but a few early readings have been enjoyable and interesting. The most interesting reading so far was from Kevin Lynch's book An Urban World. In the chapter "The Pattern of the Metropolis," he points out five different type of patterns of cities and makes sure that each city has a few characteristics that are specifically important to the functionality of cities (accessibility, density, organization, grain, circulation, and services). All are important parts of a functional and successful city.

Overall, school is a lot of work but it has many perks and has been a good time.

Its been tough to keep up with my blog but as i figure out how to manage my time to the best ability, i will be able to write more.

No comments:

Post a Comment