Sunday, September 5, 2010

Maize and Blue

So as the college football season kicks off, I experienced my first College game of my life and boy was it fun. The University of Michigan has a prestigious history for sports but most notably their football program. Many NFL stars have suited up the Maize and Blue gear, but over the past few years, with their new coach Rich Rodriguez, Michigan football has not seemed the same. This game possibly marked a change in recent times.

I didn’t do much heavy tailgating, mostly because I am still unfamiliar with the campus. I first met up with some of my planning colleagues who were having a small get together at one of their houses. It was fun and relaxing, but after I left, I stated my journey toward the Big House. Thousands of people dressed in yellow and blue, hundreds of parties and tailgates along the way, and a sunny and mildly warm end of summer day created the best concoction for football. I can’t try to explain what the atmosphere was like, but I have never seen such passion and dedication towards a sports team before. I am sure many other large Universities have similar qualities, but because this was my first time at a major collegiate event this was an event I will always look forward too for this season and next. I wanted to meet up with my roommate and his friend who were tailgating on the golf course, but I never did make it. It just took me too long to walk from the central to south campus and by the time I got to south campus it was 30 minutes to game time.

Walking into the stadium has a very simple but large feel. The stadium is HUGE. Accruing to the game announcer it was 113,090 people attended huge. Yeah, it was nuts. I have never seen sooo many people in one sporting event. The stadium is great, because it really has a college field and although my tickets are not considered the best seating, I had a very good viewing angle. The stadium is built below road level so the concourse dumps you out onto row 50 or something like that and so every seat is great. Standing for almost 4 hours was not so great, but again it was all part of the experience.

The game itself was awesome. Michigan played Uconn, and many people thought Uconn could upset Michigan. Well they were wrong. From the start, the wolverines played hardnosed run it down your throat offense. Mainly their quarterback was the rusher (he rushed for 197 yards or something like that) but in general Michigan just overpowered Uconn. The quarterback who apparently was battling for his position played very well. Not only did he rush a lot and picked up a lot of yards (he is one of the fastest players on the team and in the country) but he had no interceptions and only a few incomplete passes. The defense also played well giving up only 10 points and allowing I think less than 300 yards of total offense.

It was a great game and a great first game to go to. Michigan won 30-10 and I hope their next home game is even better. I found that Michigan looked a lot like the rich Rodriguez West Virginia team of the past where the quarter back could throw, run or option it off because of the QB’s speed and spread formation offense. I hope that means the players are finally buying into the coaches system and they will stop having losing seasons. LET’S GO BLUE!

No comments:

Post a Comment