Saturday, August 14, 2010

Fifa's new plan

I just read an article from ESPN.com reporting that FIFA was going to think about changing its overtime and tie game situation.  They might eliminate all ties, and either impose a Golden Goal overtime format, or just do away altogether with the overtime and if tied at the end of 90 minutes, have shoot outs.  This is said to be for ALL world cup games (But I assume they mean all group stage games considering those are the only games that can be finished in a draw).    I do not think this would be a good idea, because I think soccer thrives in its overtime system.  The NHL did away with ties a few years ago after the lockout and although I think it has worked for them, they are looking for any ideas and changes to attract more people.  Soccer is already the most popular sport in the world and so unless the MLS was trying to get more spectators and fans, I do not think this will be a good idea.  If they do want to get rid of ties, I would prefer a golden goal, or just the same format as any single game elimination format.  Full 30 minutes of overtime and if still tied go to PK's.  I think that would be the best format if they do away with ties.  I also think ties are very important in the group stages, becasue if everyone was seperated by wins and losses, then the tie breaker would be goal difference.  Where as with ties, points are divied more evenly between teams and more teams fight harder for ties and what not.  Now it will take out some of the fun if ties are eliminated.

Also I will be writing about the opening of the Premier league today and the Tottenham game which I watched and was the first game aired on ESPN this season.  I am excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment